Total Pageviews

Friday 26 December 2014

The Blue Boat (as per Winslow Homer)

I started painting again once I was able to move around a bit in my sunroom/studio, (recovering from a broken hip and surgery), and continuing on with my art classes at the U of A extension department. I'm in my second watercolour class, and the assignment was to do a copy of a famous watercolour artist's painting. I chose Winslow Homer, a well known American artist at the turn of the century. This is my copy of  "The Blue Boat", which Winslow Homer painted in 1892. Here is a copy of his actual painting:

So I generally don't like to copy other painter's works, but it was an assignment for the class. I was fairly happy with the outcome, though, and feel that I did capture the essence of his painting. I like this style of painting, which is quite impressionistic, yet it does retain a feeling of realism.
I think that the watercolour is quite suited to this style of painting, and I am growing in appreciation of this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment