Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 December 2014

San Juan River Overlook, Utah

I finally got back to posting an image from my trip to Arizona and Utah this fall. I've experienced a bit of a setback recently, having suffered from a broken hip due to a fall. But no matter, I will be back to getting out as soon as I can to do some more photography, as well as some painting.
This photo was taken the last day of my trip, on the San Juan River near Butte Utah. It was taken early in the morning at sunrise, with the sun at our backs. This shot I decided to process as a black and white image. The colour image was nice but it lacked something. I think I have a tendency to favour black and white images anyway, harkening back to my film shooting days with the Monochrome Guild guys.
The downside to this image was the cloudless sky, which is always a problem for me. The sky is just a blank area in the image which does nothing for the composition, so I cropped it quite a bit.
It is a nice composition with the S - shaped river in the centre of the shot, which is always a good compositional element. I also like the variation of tonality of the trees in the centre of the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment